Bernie Cantorna knew in May that he would be the next district attorney of Centre County.
That was made official on Tuesday.
According to unofficial election night results, Cantorna — the only name on the ballot — received 22,434 votes. That was 98.6 percent of the ballots cast in the race. The remaining 1.4 percent were write-in votes.
Cantorna won the Democratic primary over incumbent Stacy Parks Miller in May by a margin of 39 percent, taking 7,156 votes to Parks Miller’s 3,135. He also sewed up the Republican side with 80 percent of the write-in votes in a primary with no GOP candidates in the running.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The November general election cemented it.
“I’m extremely grateful to all the voters and the volunteers,” Cantorna said. “I’m going to work every day to earn the trust they have given me.”
Cantorna will be sworn into office on Dec. 29, he told the Centre Daily Times.
Cantorna inherits a DA’s office that has a number of open high-profile prosecutions underway, including the Beta Theta Pi fraternity hazing, homicide charges in the deaths of Penn State professor Ronald Bettig, Snow Shoe father of five Jeremy Cantolina, Bellefonte banker Courtney McGhee and Spring Mills man Richard Smalley.