Firefighters from four fire companies were dispatched to a house blaze Wednesday night off West Water Street in Bellefonte.
The blaze was contained to one area of the home, but it was enough to displace a family for at least one night.
The homeowners knew something wasn’t right before they went to bed, according to Undine fire Chief Wes Fouse. They called 911 at 11:59 p.m., because there was an odor of smoke.
There was light smoke throughout the house when first responders arrived, and it was most dense in the basement, according to Fouse. Firefighters then observed a change in the smoke outside the home after no fire was found in the basement. The discovery led them to believe the fire might be on the second floor.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Fouse said firefighters used thermal imaging cameras to find a fire between the first and second floors and the wall of a bedroom. The blaze was put out about 15 minutes after firefighters arrived on scene. There was fire damage on the second floor of the home. Firefighters also ripped through the house’s kitchen ceiling to ensure the fire had not spread.
Electricity was shut off in the home, and the family made arrangements to sleep elsewhere overnight, according to Fouse. It is unknown when they will be able to return to the home. A cause of the fire will be determined by a fire marshal.
Logan, Pleasant Gap and Citizen’s fire companies were also dispatched to the scene.