Bellefonte

Bellefonte council votes on financing $6.6 million project

Council voted 7-0 to pursue financing what could be a $6.6 million project for its wastewater treatment plant.

The project would entail replacing its return activated sludge piping and belt press due to age and deterioration. It would also include the installation of odor control equipment and BioMag process to replace the rotating biological contractors.

The borough, under its agreement for shared project costs with the Spring Benner Walker Joint Authority, would be responsible for 58 percent of the costs, about $3.8 million. The SBWJA would be responsible for the remaining 42 percent.

The borough authority would lead the project, but the borough backs the debt of the authority’s projects.

Northwest Savings Bank offered the borough three interest rate options. Council chose option three, a 10-year initial fixed interest rate at 3.93 percent, which would be adjusted after the 10th year. The other two options were a five-year fixed interest rate at 3.38 percent and seven years at 3.71 percent, and each would be adjusted after the fixed terms based on a monthly average of the U.S. Treasury rate, plus 1.75 percent and adjusted to a tax-exempt rate of 68 percent.

The borough also discussed plans to schedule an on-site meeting with representatives for the Bellefonte Mews and Centre County court projects to discuss repairs to Cherry Lane.

Borough Manager Ralph Stewart said the road sustained damage from heavy trucks using it to go to and from construction sites in downtown Bellefonte.

“We should come up with a way of addressing it, and everyone is willing to meet,” Stewart said. “We don’t think it should be passed on to taxpayers.”

Council also approved in a 7-0 vote — councilmen Barry Spicer and Paul DeCusati did not attend — repairs to Dunlap Street as part of the Bellefonte waterfront revitalization project. The borough expects to be reimbursed for the work through a Redevelopment Capital Assistance Project grant.

Shawn Annarelli: 814-235-3928, @Shawn_Annarelli

  Comments