When it comes to finance knowledge, Jef Wall’s your guy.
He’s been the business manager at Penns Valley Area School District for seven years, entering the district after being in a similar position at the Rochester Area School District in Beaver County.
“I came here because I liked the area,” said Wall, who lives in Centre Hall.
He and his wife are Penn State graduates, and have a daughter who lives in State College.
But at the end of the school year, he’s done.
Earlier this year, Wall announced his retirement and said he’s going to “take it easy,” before rushing into something else.
“The first thing I want to do is enjoy retirement — that was the best advice I got,” Wall said. “I’m going to take some time off and soak it in — maybe do some small time traveling like take a week in New England, visit Chicago or other places along the East Coast — kind of check off a bucket list of local travels.”
Wall said he also hopes to visit his youngest daughter who works at Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y.
He was hired as the district’s business manager, but had multiple responsibilities.
He said that at a small school district like Penns Valley, many hats are worn that also included overseeing purchasing, transportation and some contractual agreements, which forced him to be a big part of the planning process of the job.
“I absolutely enjoyed it,” Wall said. “I enjoyed working with the people in general — the teachers, the administration and other staff members, but more than anything I liked the position because of its intellectual side, but also working on more than just a budget.”
Among his most proud moments, he said, was increasing the fiscal health of the district.
“We did a lot with a little,” Wall said. “When I came here, we had a fund balance of $3 (million) to $4 million, and we’re now pushing $9 million. So I just think enhancing the fiscal management of the district was good, and it wasn’t just me. It took a lot of people, but I feel like I’m leaving everyone in good hands.”
Additional Penns Valley Area retirees
▪ Jackie Barlett, administrative assistant in the business office. With the district since 1999
▪ Lynnette Breon, paraprofessional. With the district since 1999
▪ Harry Henry, custodian. With the district since 2008
▪ Kathy Kapinus, elementary teacher. With the district since 1992
▪ Guy Krout, custodian. With the district since 1988
▪ Dave Neese, maintenance and grounds. With the district since 1990
▪ Tom Stover, custodian. With the district since 2009
▪ Chris Suhey, Spanish teacher. With the district since 1996
▪ Jacqui Wagner, secondary science teacher. With the district since 1988