Alpha Fire Company responded at about 11:48 a.m. Thursday to a report of heavy black smoke coming out of the roof at 103 S. Allen St., above Animal Kingdom.
Once on the scene, Chief Jason Troup said they confirmed the report and determined that the smoke was coming out of a chimney on the roof. The firefighters found smoke in the basement, coming from a malfunctioning boiler system in the basement of the former Moyer Jewelers building next door.
Troup explained that the heavy black smoke was going out of vents in the building and the chimney on the roof.
There were no flames, Troup said.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Centre Daily Times
The firefighters turned the oil furnace off and shut the power off, but there was no water damage or injuries, and Animal Kingdom remains open.
South Allen Street and College Avenue near the 100 block were closed down to make room for the firetrucks and equipment, and many pedestrians stopped to see what was going on.
Control was marked at 12:14 p.m., and the roads re-opened soon after.