On Monday evening, the State College Area School District’s board of directors voted to approve three additional change orders to the State High project.
The first change order involves increasing the elevator door fire rating, which was not correctly identified on the construction documents, for an amount not to exceed $3,700.
A second change order is directed toward extending and finishing the walls in the South Building’s new IT room. This will be for an amount not to exceed $1,300 and is due to unforeseen conditions that were revealed during selective demolition of the area.
The third change order will yield a credit of at least $6,500 due to field conditions that required a reconfiguration of site-related stormwater piping.
Earlier in the meeting, the board voted to approve the contracts for Crabtree, Rohrbaugh and Associates and Massaro Construction Management Services to serve as consultants for the districtwide facilities master plan update.
During a meeting May 9, the board voted to approve the DWFMP nearly a week before a state moratorium on PlanCon reimbursement for new projects, possibly protecting between $2.2 million and $2.4 million in state reimbursement for two projects.
The DWFMP update focuses on elementary school-related undertakings, with potential projects at Houserville, Radio Park and Corl Street elementary schools all under consideration.
CRA and MCMS are both overseeing the ongoing State High project.
Under their contracts for the DWFMP update, both companies will help to steer the process leading up to possible elementary school renovations or new construction, beginning with a demographic analysis of the district.
CRA will receive $63,000 for master plan services.
Subject to board approval before the bidding process, the firm would also be paid a lump sum of 6.25 percent of a renovation project’s costs or 5.75 percent of a new construction project’s costs.
For managing the pre-construction and construction phases of the elementary school projects, MCMS would receive $472,000 for one school, $460,000 for a second and $456,200 for a third.
Later, the board also voted to approve the contract proposal with Weber Murphy Fox to design upgrades to the locker rooms, spectator restrooms and other facilities at Memorial Field for a total project cost estimated at $13 million.
During the public comment portion of the board meeting on May 9, Jay Paterno and other parents of athletes on the girls’ high school lacrosse team proposed the creation of a new advisory board separate from the Citizens Advisory Committee for Athletics.
The parents were motivated by the recent resignations of the lacrosse team’s former head coach, Mark Mahon, and assistant coach Chelsea Cameron.
Paterno said the proposed advisory board would preferably be made up of adults with experience in athletics but without any ties to SCASD.
In a letter, the parents said that a new board would protect the administration from allegations of “undue influence” and give coaches a chance to voice their concerns.
On Monday evening, board President Amber Concepcion made a statement inviting parents to a meeting of the policy development committee at 10 a.m. June 15 at 131 W. Nittany Ave.
Superintendent Bob O’Donnell said that there will also be a parent meeting with the administration after the end of the season.
“I want to finish it out on a positive note for the kids,” O’Donnell said.