Woman restrained after allegedly fighting with police, EMTs

A Virginia woman had to be restrained and sedated after she allegedly refused to stop fighting with police and medical personnel.

According to the criminal complaint filed Monday by State College police, officers responded to a trespassing call at about 1:10 a.m. Monday along North Patterson Street. The caller said he had met a woman at Indigo on Friday and had let her stay at his residence over the weekend.

The woman had allegedly become “loud and out of control” over the course of the previous day, police said, and the caller asked her to leave. As she left, he heard some “loud banging” on his porch and allegedly found his screen door broken and a chair thrown into the yard.

While searching for the woman, police said, officers got a call saying the woman had returned and now had injuries to her face. The caller was afraid he would be accused of causing the injuries.

Officers returned to the residence and found Ahjani Nantwi, police said. She was described as “visibly intoxicated” with slurred speech, glassy eyes and the odor of alcohol about her.

Officers requested an ambulance for Nantwi, police said, as she was observed with a swollen lip and scrapes on the left side of her face. Nantwi allegedly told police she had fallen.

While waiting for the ambulance, police said, Nantwi allegedly refused to comply with requests to sit in one place. She allegedly continued to yell obscenities at officers and EMT personnel who arrived on the scene.

Nantwi was handcuffed and carried to the ambulance because she allegedly refused to walk and kicked an EMT in the head while being loaded into the ambulance, police said. EMTs used straps to restrain her to the stretcher as she continued to scream and fight to get up.

Nantwi allegedly continued an ongoing disturbance in the Mount Nittany Medical Center emergency room for several minutes until she could be sedated, police said, saying it took “three security personnel and multiple hospital staff” to restrain her.

Nantwi was arraigned before District Justice Steven Lachman, according to court documents, and charged with felony aggravated assault and two misdemeanor charges of resisting arrest and disorderly conduct. Bail was set at 10 percent of $20,000.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Nov. 9.

Editor's note: An earlier version of this story identified Nantwi as Teana Dobbins, which is incorrect. Nantwi identified herself to police as Dobbins and now faces additional charges for false identification.

Jeremy Hartley: 814-231-4616, @JJHartleyNews