Tear gas used to end standoff with Franklin Furl, affidavit says

Franklin Furl III
Franklin Furl III

A Snow Shoe man taken into custody Dec. 2 after a police standoff exchanged fire with members of a special police response team, according to the criminal complaint.

Additional charges were filed Friday against Franklin A. Furl III, 53, stemming from the incident along the 200 block of Walnut Road in Snow Shoe Township. Police had previously stated Furl had been firing a pistol near other residences earlier in the day in an attempt to shoot a family pet.

According to the affidavit filed by state police at Philipsburg, troopers had attempted to serve a warrant on Furl at about 4:30 p.m. but he refused to answer the door. Furl reportedly made statements that he would “shoot the first cop that makes entry into his door” and that he “wished to die by suicide by cop.”

It was determined that Furl was the only person in the house, police said.

A state police Special Emergency Response Team was called to set up a perimeter around the residence, police said, but Furl continued to refuse to leave. Troopers reportedly observed Furl shine a flashlight from a rear window of the residence in the direction of several SERT members.

At about 9:25 p.m., troopers saw a rifle barrel emerge from the window, pointed in the direction of the SERT team members, police said. Furl also allegedly pointed the rifle toward a vehicle also containing four team members.

At about 9:48 p.m., Furl fired on the SERT team members with a handgun and “several rounds of gun fire were exchanged” between himself and the troopers, police said. After team members deployed tear gas, Furl surrendered and was taken into custody at about 1:50 a.m. Dec. 3.

A warranted search of the residence reportedly revealed multiple firearms, police said, including a shotgun, a 30.06-caliber rifle, three rifles in a gun locker, a .22-caliber handgun, two .45-caliber handguns and numerous loose live rounds throughout the kitchen.

Furl was arraigned early Friday on these new charges before District Judge Allen Sinclair, according to court documents, and was charged with 42 felony counts, including attempted criminal homicide, aggravated assault and assault of a law enforcement officer; and 20 misdemeanor charges of simple assault and reckless endangerment.

Straight monetary bail was set at $500,000 and he remains in custody at the Centre County Correctional Facility. A preliminary hearing is slated for Wednesday.

Jeremy Hartley: 814-231-4616, @JJHartleyNews