Centre County saw two homicides in 2015. The Kudlach and Podnebennyy cases came just two months apart, and have mirrored each other as they travel through the justice system.
Both feature husbands charged with causing the deaths of their wives. Both involved quick arrests, with the defendant present at the scene when police arrived.. Both even share the same defense attorney.
And both are being continued again.
On Tuesday, Centre County Judge Jonathan D. Grine signed an order granting a continuance for Alois Kudlach.
Kudlach, 50, was charged with first- and third-degree murder, aggravated assault, possession of a weapon and intercepting communications after the Aug. 30 shooting of his wife, Nuria, in their College Township home.
Kudlach contends the shooting was in self-defense after his wife approached him with a knife.
Kudlach’s case has already been continued twice, moved from the December term of court to the February and then April terms. The latest continuance would push the case to the June term of court.
The delay was requested by Centre County District Attorney Stacy Parks Miller’s office, which cited outstanding lab items as the reason.
“Yes, numerous items of evidence were sent for analysis, as is typical in a homicide,” Parks Miller said. “While a large number of items have been tested and the results are complete, some are those are still at the lab. These items and very important to the case and we are required to turn over these items to the defense as well.”
According to defense attorney Karen Muir, the items in question include bullet fragments and casings and the gun.
“We are ready. We’ve been ready since day one,” Muir said.
Muir had the same to say in the other case. Vladimir Podnebennyy’s trial for the October stabbing of his wife was also pushed to the June term last week. Parks Miller is awaiting translations in that case.