Houtzdale man accused of failing to register with police

A Houtzdale man who is a convicted sex offender has been charged with failing to register with police.

Steven Dale Krause, 44, an inmate of the jail, waived his right to a preliminary hearing Wednesday during centralized court in Clearfield County. He is also charged with failure to verify address. His bail is $25,000.

According to the affidavit of probable cause, in April a trooper spoke with Krause’s mother who said Krause had moved to Ansonville a week or two prior to their conversation. She didn’t know the exact address but added that all of her son’s belongings were still at the residence. She also mentioned that he was no longer working.

When a trooper spoke with Krause’s employer, he verified that Krause quit showing up for work and had been advised that he had been replaced.

An attempt to contact Krause at a residence in Irvona was made April 23. Upon arrival, Krause allegedly fled into the woods. The resident there was advised that Krause needed to contact police and register as required. He failed to do so, according to the report.

In June troopers served a warrant on Krause who was found at the LaJose Hotel.

He was taken into custody without incident. When he was searched, Krause was found to have 10.7 grams of marijuana and $2,714.42 in cash, police said.

As a result of this, he is charged with possession of a small amount of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. He waived his right to a hearing in this case as well Wednesday.

Krause is required to register because of an incident that occurred in August 2005, according to court documents. He pleaded guilty to aggravated indecent assault and corruption of minors in 2006. He was sentenced to two years and six months to seven years in state prison and three years’ probation on the aggravated indecent assault charge and five years’ consecutive probation for the corruption charge.

On Tuesday, Krause’s probation was revoked due to the new charges and his possession of drugs, which are both violations. At that time, President Judge Fredric J. Ammerman sentenced him to six months to two years in state prison.