Central Pennsylvania runners fared well in wintry conditions at the May 15 Pocono Mountains Run for the Red Marathon.
This year, race organizers moved the start an hour earlier to 7 a.m. to avoid potential heat, but instead runners faced gray skies and chilly winds at the start. The weather remained cold for May as runners passed through a few snowflakes and a rain shower en route to the finish at the high school track in Stroudsburg.
Meira Minard, of State College, was the first masters woman and fourth woman overall in 3 hours, 8 minutes, 56 seconds. A.J. Kelly, of Altoona, was fifth overall and won the men’s 30-34 age group in 2:32:56. In the half marathon, Allison Machnicki, of State College, was the ninth woman overall and placed second in the 20-29 age group.
In another spring race with wintry conditions — 30 degrees and snowing — Jeff Smucker, of Centre Hall, placed sixth overall at the Garden Spot Village Marathon in New Holland on April 9. His time of 3:07:33 was also good for the 50-and-over win.
Local race results
▪ At Pocono, Minard was just two weeks out from winning the Greenwood Furnace Trail Challenge 13-miler on May 1 with a time of 1:59:13, the only woman to break two hours. Carole Dudokovich, of Port Matilda, was just behind her in 2:02:28 to take second. Matt Lipsey was first overall in 1:39:09. Among local runners, Smucker was sixth in 1:52:03.
▪ The Beidleheimer Sidewinder 10K on May 7 is the area’s only age- and gender-graded race, with awards based on a percentage of world-record level for the runner’s age rather than clock time. Tom Cali, 61, was first overall with a national-class 85.49 percent grade. Patrick Singletary was second with 83.54 percent, and Dudukovich, just a week out from her Greenwood Furnace performance, was third with 80.25 percent. The race was part of the Tussey Teaser series and took runners backward down the fourth leg of the Tussey Mountainback 50 Mile Relay and Ultramarathon.
▪ Seth Senior won the Linden Loop 5-miler on May 1 in 27:55. Melissa Horn was the first woman in 39:18.
▪ At the Troop 31 5K in Tudek Park on May 8, 15-year-old Sean Kelleher, of State College, was first in 19:38. Jean Brownstead, of State College, was the first woman in 27:18.
▪ Shundri Li, of State College, won the Victory 5K at Our Lady of Victory Catholic School on May 14 in 18:13. Patrick Singletary was less than a second behind him. Anna Squicciarini won the women’s race in 22:59.
▪ The same day, Alan Effrig, of State College, won the Nittany Valley Charter School Tree Hugger Trot 5K in Boalsburg with a time of 20:54. Mihret Strauss, of State College, was the first woman and second overall in 21:54.
▪ Singletary got the win at the Penns Valley Youth Center 10K on May 21 in 37:32, and Malarie Yoder, 18, of Spring Mills, won the women’s race in 48:16. Carter Felker, 15, of Spring Mills, won the 5K 21:44 and Mackenzie Wenrick, 19, of Woodward, was the first woman in 25:21.
▪ Treaster Kettle Test Your Mettle 10.6 Miler (Tussey Teaser No. 4), 8:30 a.m. Sunday, Colyer Lake boat launch.
▪ Eager Seeger Half Marathon (Tussey Teaser No. 5), 8:30 a.m. June 19, Alan Seeger picnic area.
For more information on the Tussey Teaser series, email firstname.lastname@example.org or see http://tusseymountainback.com/tussey_teasers.html.
▪ Crack O’ Dawn 5K Run/Walk and Pancake Breakfast, 8 a.m. June 25, Lions Community Hall, 130 S. Academy St., Boalsburg. Register online at http://bit.ly/crackodawn2016.
▪ Hartman Group Happy Valley Sprint Triathlon (750-meter pool swim, 20-kilometer bike, 5K run), 7 a.m. July 10, Penn State McCoy Natatorium outdoor pool. It’s produced by Centre County YMCA. For more information, contact Josh Cone at jcone @ymcaocc.org, call 237-7717, or visit www.ymcaof centrecounty.org/races/happy-valley-sprint -triathlon.
▪ Sue Crowe Memorial 41st Annual Arts Festival 5K, 10K, and 10 Mile Races and Kids Races presented by Penn State Health, July 17, Medlar Field at Lubrano Park. 10-miler starts at 8:15 a.m., 10K at 8:30, and 5K at 8:45. Online registration and more information at http://nvrun.com/index .php/racing/club -sponsored/arts-festival -races.
▪ Sproul 10K trail race, 10 a.m. July 23, Western Clinton Sportsmen’s Association, Renovo. For more information, see www.hike run.com.
▪ Allegheny Front Trail Runs, July 30, Mid-State Regional Airport, 451 Airport Road, Philipsburg. Events include a 50K Seneca Run, Half-Marathon Hemlock Run, and shorter hikes. Register online at http://bit.ly/goAFTRit2016 or on race day, beginning at 6 a.m., at the Mid-State Regional Airport terminal building.
▪ Flutopia 5K, 8:30 a.m., July 30, Tom Tudek Memorial Park. For more information, visit www.facebook.com/ TheFlutopiaInitiative.
Tara Murray writes a monthly running column for the Centre Daily Times. She can be reached via email at email@example.com.