Eat, Play, Live

Settling In: Recycling

Visitors browse the blankets, sheets and towels during the Trash to Treasure sale in January 2015. Proceeds from this sale benefit the Centre County United Way.
Visitors browse the blankets, sheets and towels during the Trash to Treasure sale in January 2015. Proceeds from this sale benefit the Centre County United Way. CDT file photo

Centre County residents and Penn State are all about recycling. Most drop-offs have containers for the following: various types of paper; steel and aluminum cans; glass bottles and jars; cardboard; and plastic bottles and jars. A yearly household hazardous waste collection event and year-round electronics recycling are also offered.

For independent refuse and recycling service information, contact the borough or township in which you live.


Materials must be recyclable, prepared and properly separated.

•  Remove lids and tops from cans and bottles and rinse containers.

•  Keep newspapers, mixed office paper and magazines separate and dry.

•  Do not recycle broken glass.

•  Recycle plastic bags at the supermarket.

•  Compost yard waste or contact your municipal office about collection.


Curbside collection is done weekly on the same day as trash pickup. Residents should have recycling bins and trash containers set out by 7 a.m.

•  Glass bottles and jars: Rinse thoroughly; no broken glass; no window glass, drinking glasses, cookware or light bulbs.

•  Metal cans and foil: Aluminum cans, aluminum foil and foil pans, steel cans, empty paint cans and empty aerosol cans.

•  Plastic bottles: Narrow-neck plastic bottles, milk jugs, soda bottles, shampoo bottles and cleaning-supply bottles. Rinse bottles.

•  Newspaper should be bagged or bundled separately.

•  Other types of paper: All other types of paper (magazines, catalogs, office paper, junk mail, shredded paper, paperboard, etc.), must be bagged or bundled together.


Do not throw liquid paint in the trash. Solidify, then dispose of paint. If small amount of paint is left, remove lid and let dry. The can may be recycled with metal cans. If you have more paint than would dry in the air, you can use cat litter or paint solidifier or drop off up to 5 liquid gallons a day per person at the transfer station. There is a minimum fee of $10.


Some household products, such as chlorine bleach, drain cleaner, paint thinner or pesticides, are hazardous and need to be disposed of properly. The Centre County Recycling and Refuse Authority offers a household hazardous waste collection each spring.

For more information on proper disposal, call the Centre County Cooperative Extension office at 355-4897 or the county Department of Emergency Management at 355-6745. For questions about industrial hazardous waste, call the Department of Environmental Protection at 717-327-3636.


Scrap metal and appliances, such as air conditioners, machines or furnaces, are accepted at the Centre County Recycling and Refuse Authority’s Transfer Station from any resident for free.


These can be thrown away with your regular trash.


The Centre County Recycling and Refuse Authority has an electronics recycling drop-off located in the Transfer Station. This is a free service for Centre County residents. It is illegal to dispose of electronics with other trash.


•  American Association of University Women Used Book Sale, which is held each May at Penn State, recycles thousands of books.

•  Trash to Treasure is an annual cooperative effort between Penn State and the Centre County United Way.

•  Skills of Central PA Inc. recycles and process computers, fax machines, scanners, printers, typewriters, terminals, office copiers and VCRs that are at the end of their useful life. It does not accept televisions or broken or scratched monitors. Visit

or call 238-3245.

Related stories from Centre Daily Times