Bellefonte

After backlash, Bellefonte board defends decision to expel senior weeks before graduation

A rock outside of Bellefonte High School says “Home of the Red Raiders” on May 15, 2024.
A rock outside of Bellefonte High School says “Home of the Red Raiders” on May 15, 2024. adrey@centredaily.com

Facing significant backlash after voting to expel a Bellefonte Area High School senior weeks before graduation, the district’s school board stood by its decision in a public statement released Wednesday.

The four-page defense comes after days of mounting criticism over the board’s unanimous decision to expel the student for bringing a small knife on a school-sponsored trip to the Centre County Courthouse.

While critics have cast the punishment as excessive, the board said Wednesday that the public’s perception of what happened reflects only an “incomplete picture” it is legally prohibited from fully explaining.

“While we are unable to correct or clarify every aspect of public perception surrounding this matter, we believe it is important to be transparent about the law, the processes we follow, and the best practices we have established to ensure due process in every case that comes before us,” board President Jon Guizar wrote in the letter, on behalf of the board.

“We genuinely appreciate the concern, engagement, and commitment of our community. It is our hope that this statement helps provide a clearer understanding of the level of detail, care, and legal guidance that informs each step of our decision‑making.”

The board said it issued the statement to “address recent concerns regarding a board action that has generated significant public attention.” More than 4,000 people have signed an online petition in support of the student, including for him to be able to receive his diploma alongside his classmates.

What led to the vote to expel the student?

Dozens of high school students walked May 1 to the courthouse for Law Day, an annual event that gives them an opportunity to learn more about the judicial system.

Centre County Sheriff Bryan Sampsel told the Centre Daily Times last week that the student told a deputy he forgot he had the knife in his pocket. In a notification sent to parents and guardians, the district said the knife was never used to harm or threaten anyone and did not present an active threat.

An adjudication hearing took place last week. In such hearings, the board said administrators present the case and recommend the mandatory one-year expulsion as required by Pennsylvania law and the district’s weapons policy.

The student, their parents or an attorney can then present evidence to support their position. Any modification of the recommended sanction rests with Superintendent Roy Rakszawski.

A hearing examiner appointed by the board then considers the evidence and recommendations before giving a written recommendation to the board. At its public meeting last week, the nine-member board unanimously voted to accept the recommended yearlong expulsion.

In every case since 2021, the board said it has accepted the examiner’s recommendation — often “far less” than the one-year requirement.

It’s unclear what, if any, modification Rakszawski recommended. In an email Friday, he told the CDT he is unable to comment on any individual student matter. He did not directly answer whether he supported the board’s decision.

“The Administration and Board of Directors carefully considers all the facts in each case to ensure decisions are fair and consistent with the policy and other similar decisions,” Rakszawski wrote in a statement. “The District does not have or apply a ‘zero tolerance’ policy or approach to these matters.”

Bellefonte Area School District Superintendent Roy Rakszawski chats with Rep. Paul Takac, D-College Township, at the groundbreaking ceremony for the new elementary school on June 21, 2024.
Bellefonte Area School District Superintendent Roy Rakszawski chats with Rep. Paul Takac, D-College Township, at the groundbreaking ceremony for the new elementary school on June 21, 2024. Abby Drey adrey@centredaily.com

Uncertainty as graduation approaches

Joshua Hoagland, a family member of the student who is also the vice president of the Southern Columbia Area school board in Columbia County, said the senior had no prior disciplinary record. He was one of four people who spoke during last week’s board meeting on the student’s behalf.

Without sharing specifics on the student’s background, the board’s statement referenced a student’s complete behavioral history and prior incidents as factors considered in disciplinary decisions.

“Among the most significant factors the hearing examiner weighs are the student’s candor and honesty throughout the process, the conduct of all parties during the investigation, and the full behavioral history of the student, including any prior incidents regardless of whether those incidents resulted in formal discipline,” the board wrote.

“A student who is forthcoming, cooperative, and demonstrates genuine accountability is in a fundamentally different position than one whose record or conduct during the process raises additional concerns. Other factors include whether the incident was intentional or inadvertent, the student’s behavioral history, context, age, and future plans.”

Guizar was the only board member who spoke before the vote was taken. He said he appreciated that the district and the hearing examiner “exercised discretion.”

Several events to celebrate seniors are scheduled through the end of the month, including the senior tailgate Thursday and a graduation ceremony set for May 30. It’s unclear if the student will be able to receive his diploma alongside his classmates. Rakszawski did not directly answer that question from the CDT.

“During the consideration of modifications, a review of historical precedents for fairness is conducted alongside consideration of unique circumstances,” the board wrote. “Seniors, for example, may face restrictions on events but remain eligible to graduate if academic requirements are met. Near the end of the school year, remaining calendar days are also factored into sanctions.”

The board’s next meeting is scheduled for May 26.

The Bellefonte Area High School on May 15, 2024.
The Bellefonte Area High School on May 15, 2024. Abby Drey adrey@centredaily.com
Related Stories from Centre Daily Times
Bret Pallotto
Centre Daily Times
Bret Pallotto primarily reports on courts and crime for the Centre Daily Times. He was raised in Mifflin County and graduated from Lock Haven University.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER